Friday, February 27, 2009

My Princess scared me this morning

Once in a while you have a  conversation with your child that just scares the ever-loving shit outta ya. I have always been one to want my daughter to be independent and to grow up to be her own woman...so this mornings conversation shook my psyche to the core. I hope this is not an indication of her future and what she expects outta life!


Me: "Princess...time to get ready for school"

Princess: "Not now Daddy...I'm busy"

Me: "But it is getting to be time to go...better hurry up"

Princess: "But I'm busy"

Me: "What are you doing?"

Princess: "I am looking for my Prince" -(a male doll)

Me: "Well...you will have to find him later. Life is just going to have to go on without the Prince"

Princess: "Daddy....if I do not find my Prince...I will not be able to go on. I need my Prince!"

Me: "You will be ok. You do not need the Prince right now. You can find him later."

Princess: "Later is not good enough! I NEED MY PRINCE NOW!"

Man......I am afraid that this does not bode well for the future. What are we teaching out little girls!??? This is exactly why women get all hyped up about finding Mr. Right and end up settling for Mr. Right Now....cuz they just HAVE to have their Prince RIGHT NOW!!

UGH!

4 comments:

Spooky Magoo said...

Oh, boy. I feel for you. I have a real hard time with the whole "some day my prince will come" bullshit. Girls need to be taught to take care of themselves and not depend on a man. I was lucky in that regard. My parents divorced before I turned four and although my dad was in my life somewhat, my mother raised me with very little help from him and no family support whatsoever. I got the impression from her that the idea of Mr. Right coming along and making everything perfect was just plain stupid.

On a positive note, I'm not convinced that she's thinking along those lines anyway. She may have been simply showing an attachment to a particular toy.

It might be a good idea to watch out for the red flags, but don't panic just yet.

Spooky Magoo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

I think you should panic. Very badly.

Just kiddin'. Keep on truckin', bro', it'll all take care o' itself and when you're dealing w/youngsters, Spooky is right: the "prince" reference may only mean that at that precise moment, THAT'S the toy she wanted.

....OOOOR it may not. Hard to tell 'bout these things...

Dadof3PT said...

Spooky: I agree! I want my lil one to learn how to take care of herself. I do not want her to rely on anyone, but if someone adds to her life...great! Just so long as she is an independent woman someday!

Cap'n: I am willing to bet it was just about that toy that morning....but one must nip these things in the bud!! Besides...it was so funny I had to share (and to be honest..as horrifying as it seems to me that she grow up thinking that way...I nearly pissed myself when she said it as I was laughing that hard in the kitchen!!)